Five Questions with Kimberly Russell
1. When you think of your favorite books, what is it that draws you to them and makes you want to read them over and over again?
It’s all about how they make me feel. I crave re-reading books much like someone craves a certain kinds of food. I re- read Anna and the French Kiss when I want to feel content. And I re-read Where She Went when I feel like a good cry. You never know how a book is going to make you feel on the first read, and that nice, but I like seeking emotion too.
2. Did you consciously decide to write the genre you write, or did it choose you?
That’s an interesting question for me right now. I’ve always considered myself a Young Adult author focusing on contemporary works. That’s what I enjoy reading and writing. But, with my current novel, it ended up being in the New Adult genre. I never intended to write that way, and the current tread had nothing to do with it; my MC was older and had more mature thoughts so that’s where it ended up naturally.
3. If you could sit down for a drink and a chat with any writer, who would it be, and why?
I have answered this question in the past (I love it!) and have said Stephanie Perkins and Jane Austen. I’ll go with Ann Bashares now. Her writing style is flawless and easy and I’d love to pick her brain. She writes such easy reading which I think isn’t actually easy at all.
4. When you are not writing (or reading) what is your favorite pastime?
This is probably pretty lame but my husband and I enjoy going to the movies together. I always really look forward to that.
5. At what point were you sure that your book was ready to be published, and how did you go about making it happen?
After my first draft I went through a series of edits I sat on it for a few weeks to make sure I was at peace with what I wrote. When I felt like I had given it everything I could, I self-published through Barnes and Nobles and Amazon. I’m so thankful for the indie market!
You can learn more about Kimberly's current release here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15725267-the-adoration-of-emma-wylde